Cooking Class Recipe:
Pla Kapong Nueng Manao (ปลากระพงนึ่งมะนาว)
Steamed fish with lime sauce is really easy to cook, looks impressive and tastes like heaven. There are only a few ingredients necessary and these are easy to get in the western world.
Pla (ปลา) is the Thai word for fish. Pla Kapong (ปลากระพง) is usually translated into English as Snapper. The only problem is, that the fish sold on the markets and offered in restaurants as white snapper is in reality a Barramundi or Asian Sea Bass. This fish is very popular all over Asia and northern Australia and is now becoming much wider distributed.
However, this Thai dish tastes very good as well prepared with a red snapper, grouper or similar fish. Nueng (นึ่ง) means “steamed” and Manao (มะนาว) means “lime”. You will find this dish in every single good sea food restaurant in Thailand. It is worth remembering the Thai letters or at least the Thai pronunciation of the dish: The best and most authentic restaurants in Thailand do not have the menus in English or English speaking waiters.
Now have fun with cooking!Follow us on social media
- 1 whole Fish preferably Barramundi, Snapper or Grouper, about 500 to 700 g
- 20 g Ginger chopped
- 5 Limes
- 6 gloves garlic finely chopped
- 4 Chillies
- 1/4 cup Spring onions chopped into 1" pieces
- 1/4 cup Celery chopped into 1" pieces
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tblsp. sugar
- 1 tblsp. Fish sauce
- Add 2 cups of water to a pan or wok which fits the whole fish and bring to boil
- Put the fish prepared how you learned in the cooking class in the pan / wok.
- If necessary add water so the fish is covered and add ginger. Put a lid on and let it simmer for 10 minutes
- While the fish is cooking prepare the sauce
- Chop garlic and ginger together so they are mixed and put in a bowl.
- Add Salt, Sugar, Fish Sauce and Lime juice and mix all together
- Sprinkle celery on fish, close the lid and let it boil for another 10 min.
- When the fish is cooked, take it out of the pan and place it together with some soup from the pan onto a large plate
- Pour the sauce over the fish and garnish with celery, spring onions and slices of lime